Saturday 13 May 2017

NOT my 1st Mother's Day

But it sure feels different.

In the past, hubby and I have not exchanged gifts for Mother's or Father's Day but have acknowledged each other and spent some time talking about our angels.

This year, our beautiful rainbow baby girl is here and hubby has picked out a gift and card from both of them. I am looking forward to spending Mother's Day with my little family.

What I'm dreading are the comments regarding my "First Mother's Day" and how to handle them. I want to try to keep it simple, something like, "Thank you, but this isn't my first." People might be upset or feel awkward, but as a lovely mother on the PALS Parenting after loss forum wrote, acknowledging our angels is more important than their mometary awkwardness.

Happy Mother's Day to all the lovely mothers out there x


1 comment:

  1. I hope you got through Mother's Day ok and with few painful comments. On my second (first after my rainbow was born but second overall) I heard "Happy 1st Mother's Day" from a few co-workers. It hurt, but I tried to tell myself they just don't know, they're not connected to it so they don't stop and think. But when my SIL, who held my stillborn daughter, who stood there and watched her be buried, sent me a "Happy 1st Mother's Day card" that year, I almost lost it. Still, I try to tell myself, she doesn't realize, she meant well...but that only makes it worse somehow that people like her are so oblivious to their backhanded nice deed, and they are likely pleased as punch with themselves for doing something so "thoughtful". I wanted to scream, and how exactly does my daughter being dead mean I was not a mother last year? Anyway, happy (very) belated Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete